Re: [cdt-dev] Creating tool options programatically

Hi, Alex,

Persistence is only a teensy part of EMF's capabilities, but naturally the first one that anybody new to EMF sees  :-)

One of the challenges of using EMF for persistence is in applications like the MBS data model, where the information is shared, accessible to any number of client applications and concurrent threads.  Concurrency is one of the few problems for which core EMF provides no support, but for which others layers have been bolted on (EMF Transactions) or integrated more deeply (CDO).  I think MBS and the C Model already have some problems with missing concurrency controls in their data, which would be more urgent in an EMF solution.

Cheers,

Christian

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 23:16 +0100, Alex Blewitt wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Sergey Prigogin
<eclipse.sprigogin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> EMF persistence is
> particularly hard to get right. I wouldn't use it for storing project build
> configurations.

Surely one of the benefits of EMF is the ability to persist/load from
data structures? What benefit would there be of using a generated EMF
model and then writing your own persistence layer?

Alex