Re: [cdt-dev] git (was:The Great Managed Build API Tooling Fiasco of 2009)

James Blackburn wrote:

Caveats:
git isn't that hard to drive (similar-ish to cvs) but last I tried,

Git is not similarish to CVS, except if I was to explain it to my mother. It has a totally different approach to what version control is, and calling them similar-ish will only cause confusion. Maybe for the simplest of workflows where you just want to work on the HEAD you can get away with it, but as soon as you want to do anything apart from push/pull, you need to get the CVS mental model of version control out of your head.

the integrated git team provider stuff wasn't there yet.
Windows support requires cygwin(?)

Not any more. There is a MinGW port of git which I think is pretty up-to-date now. A couple of things don't work (git-svn, for example), but all of the core functionality is in place.

--
/Jesper

Back to the top