RE: [cdt-dev] git (was:The Great Managed Build API Tooling Fiasco of 2009)

I personally have not tried Git yet, so I think for my part I would want to do some investigation/trials over the summer before I'd say for sure, but it sure sounds promising.

I wonder if we could hedge our bets and do a bit of a pilot program. If we're creating some new plugins, try putting them in Git, but leave the existing stuff in CVS for now. That way we can bail out if we want.

This all being said, CVS sucks, so it is unlikely that it will be difficult to convince me to move so long as the Eclipse integration for it is up to snuff.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
Inactive hide details for "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/22/2009 11:45 AM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] git (was:The Great Managed Build API Tooling Fiasco of 2009)

BTW, I'm closely tracking the git situation. It is my sense that git will help us immensely, even dealing with API changes after the release as Elena mentions (i.e., do it in your git repo and contribute it to the master later).

So, Chris, I will get you started ;). I'd like to know the CDT community's opinion on this. One thing that Mike challenged us at the council meetings at EclipseCon was for a high profile project to step up and say they would like to move to git before the Foundation would seriously invest in it. Personally, I'd like the CDT to be one of the first. What do you think?

Doug.

Re: [cdt-dev] The Great Managed Build API Tooling Fiasco of 2009

I agree, but don't get me started :-P

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
Inactive hide details for Jesper Eskilson <jesper.eskilson@xxxxxx>Jesper Eskilson <jesper.eskilson@xxxxxx>

                  Jesper Eskilson <jesper.eskilson@xxxxxx>
                  Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                  04/22/2009 03:40 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

Chris Recoskie wrote:

> My first instinct was to perhaps refactor these packages to use the right
> naming convention, but then we lose the CVS history on them all, and this
> affects a lot of classes :-(

You are using an antiquated version-control tool, you know that, right?
The rest of the (open source) world abandoned CVS a long time ago.

--
/Jesper