Re: [cdt-dev] Extending GCC parser

Hi Alex,

I'm curious to know why you have chosen to extend the DOM parser instead of the LR parser. The LR parser is new but it was designed specifically to be easily extended to add support for new C-based languages like ObjectiveC. If you have run into problems or concerns with the LR parser I would like to know what they are.

Plus with the LR parser all the API you need to create the parser is public (although all the API is "provisional" meaning we can change it anytime if needed).

Thanks.

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM Eclipse CDT Team
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Alex Blewitt ---04/07/2009 05:50:54 AM---I'm getting to the stage where I am playing with the GCC parAlex Blewitt ---04/07/2009 05:50:54 AM---I'm getting to the stage where I am playing with the GCC parser to

Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>

04/07/2009 05:50 AM

[cdt-dev] Extending GCC parser

I'm getting to the stage where I am playing with the GCC parser to
extend it to ObjC syntax. However, the packages I need, whilst public
and exported, are in the .internal. namespace. They're also marked as
friends only to cdt.ui bundle.

As long as Eclipse isn't in strict mode, I can continue to use these
for proof-of-concept ideas, but anyone checking out the project will
be faced with a barrage of errors and warnings about visibility.

I've bodged this in my local env by adding the objc plugin to the list
of friends (after gratuitously failing to find the compiler flag to
ignore all these kinds of problems). So far, so good.

Looking ahead to getting this in CDT for real; would the ObjC be
delivered in its own bundles (org.eclipse.cdt.objc.*) or be folded
into the CDT bundles (org.eclipse.cdt.*)? if the former, then perhaps
adding the ObjC as a friend is the right thing to do anyway.

For the time being, I'm going to assume that a local bodged version is
the way forward to get some traction going on the parser.

Alex

Sent from my (new) iPhone