Re: [cdt-dev] CDT and RAP

I have my personal opinions on Web IDEs. I think there is a future
there, but for it's going to be a lot of work to get such IDEs usable.
And I seriously question whether SWT or RAP is the write architecture
for Web UIs. I think a better approach would be to create a more natural
UI in JavaScript from scratch that interacts with a server-side Eclipse.

Doug.

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 15:47 -0700, paulb777 wrote:
> Since this thread is more than a year old, I wanted to check if anyone has
> thought further about running CDT on RAP (or GDK or anything else to make it
> a Web application)
>
> Leveraging the Web for C/C++ development has the potential to unchain
> developers from a specific piece of desktop hardware, simplify
> configuration, and improve the developer collaboration of code and
> environments.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>

> Hi *,
>
> well, I am not in the RAP team, but personally I wouldn't want to run JDT,
> CDT, or similar complex IDEs as a RAP application.
>
> At the moment. ;-)
>
> But ten years ago I didn't think that I would ever run a complete IDE in a
> JRE...
>
> On the other hand there might be some interesting usecases for CDT and RAP
> in
> the future, usecases that will be possible with such a solution. But
> currently it is not possible to port such applications because of the
> missing
> StyledText in RAP.
>
> At EclipseCon there is a tutorial on single sourcing RCP and RAP:
>
>   http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/index.php?page=sub/&id=233
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Markus
>

> On Friday 07 March 2008, Mike Wrighton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know much about the RAP (Rich Ajax Platform) and more
> > specifically whether it would be at all feasible to port some or all of
> > the
> > CDT to use it, instead of RCP? From what I understand, it replaces some of
> > the graphical parts of the Eclipse platform (SWT, JFace, the workbench)
> > with cut-down implementations that generate Ajax code so that you can
> > effectively run Eclipse inside a browser. I suspect this would be a huge
> > project but I haven't found much documentation yet on porting existing
> > plug-ins.
> >
> > Mike

Back to the top