RE: [cdt-dev] How to debug indexer problems

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 17:45 +0100, Schorn, Markus wrote:
> The best you can do is to obtain a stack-trace and report a bug. See
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock for details how to
> create a thread dump.

OK, I will try that.

In the mean time I did an experiment by allowing Eclipse to use 6 GB of
memory (-Xmx6144m) and setting MaxPermSize to 1024
(--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 1024m)

I let the indexer create an index and this time it succeded with this
message in the log:
"Indexed 'Danu' (328 sources, 2,201 headers) in 1,232.80 sec: 143,007
declarations; 642,182 references; 147 unresolved inclusions; 211 syntax
errors; 36,380 unresolved names (4.43%)"

I also noticed a file that took almost all 1232 seconds to be processed
(not related to Boost but related to wxWidgets). As far as I can see it
has nothing special in it. Actually there are a few (almost) identical
files in the source tree where the indexer does not even blink but runs
further.

I will run the indexer again and do a thread dump while it is busy wtih
that particular file.

BTW: is there any documentation available about what the settings of
"files to index ip-front" actually mean e.g. what kind of files can be
indexed up-front and with what result?

TIA

--
Groeten,