Re: [cdt-dev] Anyone working on "Add Include" refactoring?

"Refactoring" is defined as (from Wikipedia):

Code refactoring is the process of changing a computer program's internal structure without modifying its external behavior or existing functionality. This is usually done to improve code readability, simplify code structure, change code to adhere to a given programming paradigm, improve maintainability, or improve extensibility. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_refactoring)

So code manipulations that change external behavior or add functionality are technically not refactorings. For example "genreate hashCode() and equals()" is not a refactoring. I think that's why commands that generate code tend to go in the source menu and not the refactor menu.

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM Eclipse CDT Team
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Tom Ball ---01/30/2009 02:00:11 PM---Doh! I keep forgetting that JDT and CDT split their refactoringsTom Ball ---01/30/2009 02:00:11 PM---Doh! I keep forgetting that JDT and CDT split their refactorings into source and refactoring menu lists, and so just assumed t

Tom Ball <tball@xxxxxxxxxx>

01/30/2009 02:00 PM

Re: [cdt-dev] Anyone working on "Add Include" refactoring?

Doh! I keep forgetting that JDT and CDT split their refactorings into source and refactoring menu lists, and so just assumed that because it wasn't in the refactoring menu or in one of the refactoring packages, it didn't exist. Thanks for the pointer -- although the existing Add Include has its problems it should be enough for the other refactoring to use. As I find blockers in Add Include, I'll submit separate patches.

Tom

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Sergey Prigogin <eclipse.sprigogin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: _______________________________________________
cdt-dev mailing list
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx