From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tom Ball
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:45 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] adding a new language to the CDT

I'm not a CDT expert, but what you describe seems like a backwards
approach:  JDT and CDT are purposely specific to their respective
languages, so new languages should have their own specific IDE support
rather than warp another language's.  There are several Eclipse
plug-in API packages to make this easier, such as LTK which provides
common refactoring support.  My suggestion is to write separate IDE
support for your language, but use CDT and JDT as best-of-class
example code.

Tom

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Michael Rosenfelder
<MROSENFE@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on an Eclipse Plug-In to support a procedural programming
> language called PL8, a PL/I variant for systems programming. We have
PL8 and
> C source files in one source tree (project). Our compiler builds all
files
> to object files and then they are linked together to one binary. It is
> possible to call a C-function from a PL8-function and vice versa. So
our
> idea was to use the CDT and treat the source tree as a C/C++ project.
The
> C/C++ files will be handled by CDT and the PL8 files are handled by a
PL8
> editor (Syntax highlighting, outline view). We also want to use the
code
> navigation feature in the PL8 context. Therefore our idea was to add
some
> informations like function definitions in the C-index. We created a
Java
> class PL8Language implementing the ILanguage interface from the
ILanguage
> Extension Point of the CDT. The parser of the PL8 should not create an
own
> index, but should add the functions of PL8 language to the index,
created by
> the CDT-Parser.
> If I click e.g. on a PL8-function in a C-file, the C-indexer searches
for
> the function in the now combined index for the location of the
function and
> jumps to it. If I click in a PL8-file, my own indexer searchs for the
> function in the combined index.
>
> I think the solution is to implement the getASTTranslationUnit and my
own
> ModelBuilder.
> I tried to implement the getASTTranslationUnit in this way.
>
> public IASTTranslationUnit getASTTranslationUnit(CodeReader reader,
>                         IScannerInfo scanInfo, ICodeReaderFactory
> fileCreator,
>                         IIndex index, IParserLogService log) throws
> CoreException {

System.out.println("PL8Language::getASTTranslationUnit");