From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mikhail Khodjaiants
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 12:12 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] CDT 6.0 and API

Hi Markus,

On the debugger side we have been following these rules since the beginning. And I have always opposed to what Doug calls "a cowboy approach".
But since I have started to look at the other parts of CDT (core and build) I have had problems to understand what is meant to be API there and what is not. Some developments seem to be started but then abandoned. Some old interfaces are marked as deprecated without mentioning the replacements for it, others are left without deprecation. In some cases I couldn't understand why a class or an interface was implemented as public or internal. It seems that people who work closely with core (and possibly build) have an understanding of what is public but it is not obvious for outsiders like myself.
My opinion is: a serious cleanup is required which may cause an API breakage. Not sure if we have resources for it though :(

Regards,
Mikhail