Re: [cdt-dev] dbx debugger support in CDT

Pawel Piech wrote:
To clarify a bit more, there are actually two versions of this tutorial. One uses the standard debug model from platform and is covered by at article (http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/how-to.html). The other uses the same language and interpreter and is based on DSF. This one was presented at the 2008 EcliseCon tutorial (http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=44).
So does this mean that CDT could run with both versions? At least the first approach is absolutely not related to CDT. If I simply create a debugging plugin with the standard debug model from platform, CDT will use that? Or is there any special handling necessary for CDT, like glue code etc.?

Our needs are basically to get a running dbx integration pretty fast, and it should be stable. It doesn't need everything a debugger has (like special registers of the CPU), more the basic stuff: Breakpoints, stepping, variable display and watches. If there is a special problem that can't be solved that way, we could still fall back to our old debugger (although that is not what we want, of course). For dbx, remote debugging is no point for us. dbx is used only to debug on the same machine, and it is needed because we use the SunStudio sparc compiler, which produced debug info that is not usable by gdb.

Cheers,
 Achim

Back to the top