[cdt-dev] Eclipse CDT generated C++ binary works outside Eclipse and not in it!

Eclipse CDT 3.3.2 on Windows Vista; Cygwin installed with g++, make, pdb.
I created a simple C++ project that prints out "hello world". It compiles
fine and generates a binary. When I try to debug or run this binary from the
Eclipse IDE I get the error "Exec Error: Launching failed". When I double
click on the binary through Windows explorer it runs fine.
I checked my configurations for the executable, in there under Debugger I
have the following options
Cygwin gdb debugger
gdb debugger
gdb/mi
gdbserver debugger

I tried all four and get the same negative results with each.

What is going on? is it a problem with pdb / eclipse / cygwin

help!

Thanks,
abhimenon