Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Call Tomorrow

Elena Laskavaia wrote:
Sorry I have to miss this call.
About 5.1
- MBS: projects
 - wizards fixes (I think we won't apply it in 5.0 at this point?)
 - we need to extend API to achieve better customization

The possibility of defining a toolchain using a Java API instead of in XML would be really, REALLY, nice.

I've complained about this before (http://thisisnotaprogrammersblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/writing-toolchain-plugin-for-cdt-or.html), but it's such a pain to try to write the toolchain definition in XML. It's clumsy and awkward at best and if you've made non-trivial mistakes in your XML-code, you're basically on your own.

I really don't get the point of using XML for the toolchain definition in the first place. Yes, it might be good to be able to define extensions without having to write Java code, but only for simple extensions (which toolchains are not). After that it's more pain to write XML than Java.

Unless you're writing a toolchain for a compiler which is almost identical to GCC you will still need to write Java code. (macro providers, dependency scanners, etc.)

--
/Jesper

Back to the top