Re: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

Unfortunately I missed recent discussion about New C/C++ Project wizard. Let me raise a few issues about that now. Last week I tried to add some functionality to this wizard and recognized finally that I couldn't do it without applying some "surgery" methods  to existing code.

 I was very confused that tree elements on the top level (let me call them later "project types") could be created using any of two different ways:  creating extension to org.eclipse.cdt.ui.CDTWizard extension point and adding new project type. Second method has some possibility (not very impressive) to apply customized filtering to defined tool chains. But there is no chance if the first method used to customize filtering. The detection either any particular tool chain belongs to this project type  is now hard coded in StdBuildWizard class. That's why if suppose I have two different tool chains, only the first one should belong to Make builder, but I cannot get rid of the second one. Did anybody run into this problem? Any nice solution? As to me, I'd prefer to use just the second method because it is more consistent and more customizable.
Talking about customization, I would mention another couple of issues. First, I didn't find a way how to customize project creation process, at least in CDT 4 (excuse me if CDT 5 solved this problem, but I don't think there is a big difference between CDT 4 and CDT5 in this area). For example, I'd like to add my nature to the project but I do not control that because everything concentrated in uncustomizable STDWizardHandler. Second, I didn't find any method how to hide tool chains that were declared in CDT plugins as not abstract and not test. I can expand current model, but I cannot hide anything that has been already declared. Just a silly example. Imagine, I installed tool chain "X" on my computer, but I don't want to use IDE to work with "X". No, it is always there :-((

Regards,
Alex

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Hi all,

I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.

I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".

On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
Project?

It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
any newbie would ever find that out by himself.

What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
going with a tree like this:

Managed Build Executable/
   +- CDT Executable Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project
Managed Build Shared Library/
   + CDT Shared Library Project
Makefile project/
   + CDT Makefile Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project

Or, even a tree like this:

Managed Build/
    + Executable
    + Shared Library
    + Static Library
    + Empty Project
    + Examples/
           Hello World C++ Project
           Hello World ANSI C Project
Makefile Project/
    + CDT Makefile Project
    + Examples/
          Hello World C++ Project

Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just
expandable containers for the subnodes.

Cheers,