RE: [cdt-dev] Overnight build on managed make projects

I am curious about this stance! ( I have been trying to setup a CDT/Rational Team Concert build environment).
I would think that with the proper process for merging, it should not be a problem to share the makefiles.
When in doubt, the user would have to regen the makefiles and mark all conflicts as merged!

2/3 of the pde madness I experience month to month has to do with the way that we build plugins in the
IDE differs signficantly from how it builds for a build, particularly for an environment which supports many targets.
The same merge issues exist as they do for makefiles, but they are more subtle and spread across multiple manifests,
features, build.properties, etc. Or in CDT's case, the cproject files, etc..

Running eclipse headless on a build machine may be the way to reach this commonality,
but I thought that you could achieve the same thing with the already existing currency (makefiles).

--
JohnC

Inactive hide details for "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          30/05/2008 10:49 AM

          Please respond to

<wieant@xxxxxxxxx>, "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Overnight build on managed make projects

The official stance is that the makefiles generated by managed make are
not intended to be checked into source control (which is why they are
marked derived) and are not meant to be shared. The fact that they run
outside of Eclipse is also not really supported, but as you mention,
luckily it works.

There is a bug/enhancement request to support building managed build
projects in this manner. Idealy we would use a headless ecilpse to do
the build and take advantage of CDT's internal builder and other
builders where possible, but we have run into some weird dependencies
with core components on UI components that is currently preventing that.
I don't have the bug number handy but it shouldn't be too hard to find
(althought with >1200 open bugs it might be).

Doug.