RE: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

+1. We've had issues with that all along (this has been there for over a year now). We had proposed having an Empty template so you could select that. Or at least change the icon for the project type so you wouldn't confuse it as being a folder. This all fits in with the clean up we need to do for CDT 5.1. In the mean time, Martin, please raise a bug so we don't lose this. There may already be one there if you can find it.

Cheers,
Doug

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 7:57 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

Hi all,

I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.

I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".

On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
Project?

It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
any newbie would ever find that out by himself.

What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
going with a tree like this:

Managed Build Executable/
   +- CDT Executable Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project
Managed Build Shared Library/
   + CDT Shared Library Project
Makefile project/
   + CDT Makefile Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project

Or, even a tree like this:

Managed Build/
    + Executable
    + Shared Library
    + Static Library
    + Empty Project
    + Examples/
           Hello World C++ Project
           Hello World ANSI C Project
Makefile Project/
    + CDT Makefile Project
    + Examples/
          Hello World C++ Project

Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just
expandable containers for the subnodes.

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top