Re: [cdt-dev] Re:org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.ScannerConfigurationDiscoveryProfile:allowing inheritance ala superClass

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Schaefer, Doug wrote:
> I've been trying to follow this thread but I do get the gist of it.
> Scanner discovery is a mess and is in need of a total rewrite. I am
> seriously considering this as part of our clean-up work for the build
> system for CDT 5.1. I will definitely look for your input on how to make
> things better and will set up a wiki page to capture everything in the
> next week or two.

also, in terms of cleanliness/ease of organization/anal, it'd be nice
if you only needed one extension and put multiple profiles under there

so today, you generally have one
org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.ScannerConfigurationDiscoveryProfile per
language per toolchain.  the typical toolchain has two languages (C
and C++) which means you have two profiles now.  in my case, i'm
creating stuff for three similar toolchains (all need different
invocation as they are different binary formats), which means i need 6
profiles.  contrast this with the toolchain stuff where they have an
all encompassing target "...buildDefinitions" and all the toolchain
stuff lives under that ...

so the tree would be something like:
 - org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.ScannerConfigurations
   - DiscoveryProfile
     - stuff we have today
   - DiscoveryProfile
     - stuff we have today