	From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Beth Tibbitts
	Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:11 PM
	To: CDT General developers list.
	Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Performance problems building C++ ASTs

	To be honest I don't think I ever ran the analysis on a large
MPI C++ project - only on small C++ test cases, using large benchmarks
projects that were C-only.
	As my C++ test cases got bigger I noticed the slow down, and it
*may* have been there for a long time.
	Blame Greg. He found a large C++ MPI program testcase. :)
	But if this helps me speed 'em all up, then that's terrific.

	>apples vs. apples
	The difference in time is remarkable, yes.
	I don't know about #tokens but here are my rough test cases in
lines of code ... tokens would be roughly proportional.

	C++ loc=56 getAST() timing, three tries: 3.3,1.6,1.9 sec
	C loc=80 getAST() timing, three tries: .19,.10,.03 sec

	These times are just System.currentTimeMillis() before and after
the getAST() call (no args. looking at using args now)

	I assume the first run does some setup that the subsequent runs
get to share.
	I even did the C one before the C++ one once, but the times were
still in the same ball park.
	Repeated it a couple of times bringing up runtime workbench anew
each time too - results always in the same ball park too.

	This is CDT 4.0.3.200802251018

	...Beth

	Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
	High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools http://eclipse.org/ptp
	IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
	Mailing Address: IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington,
KY 40511
	 "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

				"Schaefer, Doug"
<Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
				Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

				05/21/08 02:34 PM

	Please respond to

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Performance problems building C++ ASTs

	Before going to far, Beth, is this a regression? Was it faster
before?

	Our timing for the trilogy (stdio.h, windows.h, iostream) was
always in the 3 second area doing a full parse. The time of the parse is
relative to the number of tokens read in. Are you comparing C apples
with C++ apples?

	Cheers,
	Doug.