RE: [cdt-dev] Performance problems building C++ ASTs

The speed depends on the options you use with IASTTranslationUnit.getAST(...). If you are not using an index, parsing an entire project will be too slow.
Markus.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Beth Tibbitts
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:01 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] Performance problems building C++ ASTs

I'm tracking down a performance problem (CDT 4.0.3 for now) running our PTP analysis tools on C++ code.
Getting the IASTTranslationUnit from the ITranslationUnit seems to be the culprit.
For C code,
IASTTranslationUnit atu = itranslationunit.getAST();
takes a few hundredths of a sec

For a C++ file, it takes on the order of a second and a half.

Any idea how I can speed this up? Analyzing a large C++ project is impossible at this rate.
Most of our initial analysis was on plain C code and it seems to pose no large problems.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Back to the top