[cdt-dev] Fw: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote Indexing

Apparently the list software bounced this back to me for "too many recipients" so I am re-forwarding it just to the lists.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

----- Forwarded by Chris Recoskie/Toronto/IBM on 05/16/2008 09:45 AM -----

          Chris Recoskie/Toronto/IBM

          05/16/2008 09:40 AM

cc

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gregory R Watson <grw@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jason Montojo/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Mike Kucera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Parallel Tools Platform general developers" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx, Rob Cecco/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Vivian Kong/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Babar, Vrushali Shrikant \(Vrushali\) **CTR**" <vsbabar@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject

RE: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote IndexingChris Recoskie
"Right" is a very subjective term. No, that's not what we're doing. That's been discussed to death in the past and I'm not really interested in opening up that can of worms again.

We are going with a service oriented approach (although not 100% the same as what we had proposed before). And this is going into PTP, not CDT, so it's up to the PTP committers at to whether this is something they want to support. I'm just cross-posting to CDT because the question was also asked here and there may be interested parties, since this leverages CDT.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Inactive hide details for "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          05/16/2008 09:33 AM

          Please respond to

"Parallel Tools Platform general developers" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

"Babar, Vrushali Shrikant \(Vrushali\) **CTR**" <vsbabar@xxxxxxxxx>, Gregory R Watson <grw@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Kucera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Rob Cecco/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Jason Montojo/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Vivian Kong/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

Subject

RE: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote Indexing

Given that this work has been vetoed in the past. I hope you're going in the right direction. The right architecture is to put a service independent API over the indexer to support external indexes. i.e., remote index, not remote content assist/search/static analysis of all sorts/every potential feature that uses the index in the future/etc. Is that what you guys are doing?

Doug.