Subject: Re: [platform-debug-dev] Updated test plan
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:27:07 -0500
From: Darin Wright <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list. <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I finished my test pass and it was definitely a very educational
> experience.  One feature I didn't even know about was the ability to
> have multiple launch delegates registered for the same launch
> configuration, and I'm rather curious about its background.  Is the
> intention behind it to allow completely different debugger
> implementations to share the same spot in the launch dialog?

Yes - this allows different tooling to be provided for the same feature.
For example, two different Java profilers that can launch Java Application
launch configurations. Not only can they launch/share the configuration,
they can contribute extra tabs to the configuration. The user can decide
which tool to use for a given config type/launch mode in user preferences
(or they will be prompted to choose one at launch time).

> The use case I'm thinking of is the launch configurations in CDT.
> Currently if the user installs both the CDI-based GDB implementation
> and a DSF-based implementation, he will see both launch
> configurations in the dialog, which is rather ugly.

If the configurations contain the same information (i.e. enough common
info that either tool could launch them) then the above feature could be
used. The user would just have to choose a "preferred launcher" in the
preferences.

Darin