RE: [cdt-dev] Reusing parser tests

The design documentation on the CDT wiki is also very useful for understanding the architecture of the parsers (although the C99/UPC document is a bit out of date):

http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/designs

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM CDT Team, Toronto
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Mike Kucera---04/29/2008 11:15:36 AM---Richard,Mike Kucera---04/29/2008 11:15:36 AM---Richard,

          Mike Kucera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/29/2008 11:14 AM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Reusing parser tests

Richard,

It definitely sounds like you may find the lrparser framework useful for your needs.

Currently support for C99 is pretty much done, although I don't have support for GCC extensions yet. I've extended the C99 LR parser to add support for UPC (Unified Parallel C) to CDT. If you want to see what a language extension looks like using this framework take a look at the UPC plugin which is also in CVS. Nobody other than me is really using this stuff yet so I would love any comments or suggestions you might have.

Support for C++ is still a work in progress, but its coming along quite well.

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM CDT Team, Toronto
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for "Richard Miskin" ---04/28/2008 10:47:10 AM---Mike,"Richard Miskin" ---04/28/2008 10:47:10 AM---Mike,
                  "Richard Miskin" <Richard.Miskin@xxxxxxx>
                  Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                  04/28/2008 10:46 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Reusing parser tests

Mike,

Sounds like you’ll be working on exactly the sort of thing I’d need. I’ll try and have a look at the lrparser test plugin in the next day or so to see what you’ve done - I assume that’s in CVS.

The ILanguage I’m adding is based on the C/C++ parser from EDG. Our commercial product (Cantata++) uses this and it is configured in such a way that we can enable/disable language features at run time. This means the same exes support MSVC, GCC, Sun’s CC and many target compilers. In particular we can specify options to accept different language keywords in various places, e.g. near or far.

We have a user interface for this that is based on Eclipse/CDT but a problem we’ve seen is that customers have code that uses language extensions that works with our parser and their compiler but causes problems for the CDT GNU parser. This isn’t really surprising as gcc won’t accept it either, but it is an issue for our customers.

In addition we provide the ability to generate and edit test scripts, but this is based on a combination of information produced by our tool at compile time and information gleaned from the AST. With my ILanguage implementation every IASTNode can contain additional data that is useful to us and we wouldn’t have to rely on the files generated at compile time. This would be a big plus for us as there are situations where the way the EDG parser describes an item doesn’t necessarily match to the way it is in the AST.

The theory is that If we can get our parser into Eclipse then everything should ‘just work’. Unfortunately the structure of the EDG Intermediate Language doesn’t closely match the AST all the time and EDG parser is written in C so there’s a nice JNI layer involved.

The question of how far I am through implementing it is a tricky one; I’m further through C than C++ but testing it is a little tricky. The main reason I want to try reusing the existing CDT tests is to give myself a better idea of what I’m missing. Also I’ve not attempted to support code completion yet.

Cheers,
Richard