Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Debugging on Windows using Microsoft debugger

Hello,

I tried using codeblocks.org which supports M$ debugger (partially) but I really love Eclipse and want to stick to it (svn/mylyn/etc). Thanks for the help, I'll try to dig more information.

----- Original Message ----
From: Pawel Piech <pawel.piech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: CDT General developers list. <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:55:42 PM
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Debugging on Windows using Microsoft debugger

I know that the TCF component in the DSDP/TM project has an agent
prototype for Windows, but it's of very limited functionality.  I think
the main roadblock to good MS debugger support is the MSVC debug symbol
data format.  I actually chatted with an MSVC engineer at EclipseCon
this year and asked him about this issue.  It seems that the general
debugging interface is an API that belongs to the Windows group, and
there are strict (read court ordered) publishing requirements for this
API.  However the debug symbol files generated by the MSVC
compiler/linker are consumed only by the MSVC debugger only and are
internal to the MSVC group.  I'm sure that there would be a lot of
technical and political challenges to making this format open, but you
can always ask... I think it was asksam@xxxxxxxxxxx :-)

Cheers,
Pawel