Re: [cdt-dev] Using Eclipse CDT's Parser in a Standalone Refactoring Tool

Chris is right I'm planning to generate the parser and indexer jars in our
build.  I'll send a note to the list once that's ready.

Regards,

Vivian Kong
IBM Eclipse CDT
IBM Canada Toronto Lab

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Chris Recoskie/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                              |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |04/16/2008 09:15 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [cdt-dev] Using Eclipse CDT's Parser in a Standalone    Refactoring Tool                                                                      |

You can deploy the parser, the AST, and the indexer as standalone JARs.
See the StandaloneFastIndexer class.  You will not need generally
Eclipse/OSGi to run the jars but you will need org.eclipse.core.runtime and
org.eclipse.equinox.common for some things such as CoreException.

I don't have any public examples of this to show you unfortunately.

I think Vivian was going to somehow work the generation of these jars into
the official build process but I don't think that's happened yet.  I'll let
Vivian correct me if I'm wrong.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             pingu219@xxxxxxxx
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         wieant@xxxxxxxxx, "CDT General
             clipse.org                developers list."
                                       <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             04/16/2008 04:09
                                       Re: [cdt-dev] Using Eclipse CDT's
                                       Parser in a Standalone Refactoring
             Please respond to         Tool
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hi thanks for the replies all. I guess what I  wanted to know was whether
or not the CDT parser in the CDT library can easily be used for an external
tool.
I've heard that it doesn't really work well for something like this as it's
too closely integrated with the Eclipse IDE. Are there any external tool
projects which use aspects of the CDT package (maybe not necessarily the
parser)
which I could look at? I noticed a post from way back that someone was
considering using the parser for a static code analysis tool.
Cheers

On 4/14/08, Wieant Nielander <wieant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > Hi I'm currently an student doing a project which involves creating a
  > program capable of representing a C project (files, functions...etc)
  > visually and which will allow the user to perform simple higher as well
  as
  > lower-level refactorings via the graphical interface itself. I
  originally
  > intended to use the GCC translation framework available with ANTLR for
  the
  > job of parsing the C files and source code in but someone else
  recommended
  > that I perhaps consider Eclipse CDT's parser instead.
  >
  > I was wondering if I could get some feedback as to whether the CDT
  parser
  > would be well suited for a project of this nature. Ideally the parser
  would
  > be capable of catering for preprocessor directives, be able to read in
  > different C files as a single project and perform code transformations
  with
  > ease. It would also be much appreciated if I could perhaps be pointed
  > other standalone projects, examples which use the CDT parser in this
  manner
  > or maybe even tutorials if they exist. Thanks alot in advance

  I guess the CDT parser is well suited for this as there is already a
  C++ refactoring plugin, see:
    http://r2.ifs.hsr.ch/cdtrefactoring
  C refactoring enhancements/extensions will be welcome.

  Regards,

    Wieant