Re: [cdt-dev] catchpoints design

Unfortunately this is why this feature is so problematic to me.  IMO there is already too much clutter in the debug UI and adding more features without introducing a mechanism to control that clutter is only making it worse.

I agree that because of the Eclispe breakpoint model the user has to be able to create breakpoints before a debug session starts, however I think it's acceptable to make the user dig a little deeper (though the menus and dialog) in order to do it.  With so much variety in debugger capabilities, I think it's inevitable that the UI will need to filter the immediately visible breakpoint actions based on the active debug session.

In my last post on the design discussion page I suggested imitating or just using the File->New menu mechanism, which is context-sensitive, adaptive, and powerful.

Cheers,
Pawel

John Cortell wrote:
The debugger should try to avoid that as much as possible, but I don't see how that's always doable. What if an Eclipse installation has two CDT debuggers in it. One supports catchpoints, one doesn't. The user should be able to set a catchpoint before he launches a debug session. How do you filter in that case? You don't know which debugger the user is about to invoke.

Now, if the user only has one debugger installed, and it doesn't support catchpoints, then I would expect that action to not be available.

John