Re: [cdt-dev] catchpoints design

Hi All,
If you have an opinion as to the design of this feature please contribute to the discussion at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Talk:CDT:_Debug:_Catchpoints_support.  I think there are some important usability considerations in this feature and input from a wideer community would certainly help with reaching a consensus.
Cheers,
Pawel

Pawel Piech wrote:
Thank You Elena for writing up the proposal.  I added a companion discussion page to it: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Talk:CDT:_Debug:_Catchpoints_support, and I added my comments there.  I hope that the discussion page could be used to gather the comments on the proposal in a more organized fashion than just the email replies.

BTW, if you add the proposal page to your watch list you can be notified of whenever it changes.

Cheers,
Pawel

Elena Laskavaia wrote:
The behavior is up the backend... If debugger stops all threads for
example when
backend whould detect it and send appropriate events to model and UI. I
don't think we should restrict or define behavior associated with this.
User can add Breakpoints action as for regular breakpoints though...

Phil Muldoon wrote:

Elena Laskavaia wrote:

Hi Elena,

I added catchpoints design wiki page
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT:_Debug:_Catchpoints_support
Please take a look, I want to keep it very simple but extensible.
If we agree in general I can continue with details of implementation.

Thanks for this. It reads well.

One thing I am unclear about is how the inferior is blocked or continued
when a catchpoint occurs. Is this behaviorally defined  via the observer
pattern, like it is in Frysk? For example ....  perhaps there is
catchpoint to catch signal emission from the inferior. How is the
behavior defined on how to handle that catchpoint event?  Should the
task (thread) be blocked? Should it be noted, perhaps, logged and let to
continue? How rich of a model is one to implement here. If we could
explore this a little, I think it would help define what functionality
and modeling the CDT, and the Debugger Framework Model in general, want
out of the debugger.

Regards

Phil

Back to the top