[cdt-dev] Generics and APIs

Hi everyone,

I've been fixing compiler warnings about generics in the language mapping
classes.  This involved having to change a number of method signatures to
account for parameterized collections. For example, I changed this in
LanguageManager:

Old:
public Map getContentTypeIdToLanguageDescriptionsMap(){ ... }

New:
public Map<String, ILanguageDescriptor[]>
getContentTypeIdToLanguageDescriptionsMap(){ ... }

Such a change wouldn't break existing clients and it makes the API much
easier to work with.  Regardless, it is still an API change.

Should I go ahead and make the changes to the signatures?  Or should I
leave them as-is?  I know we're already past the API freeze so I'd like to
know how the community feels about this.

Thanks,
Jason Montojo
IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto Lab