Re: [cdt-dev] catchpoints

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:28:39AM -0700, Pawel Piech wrote:
>    Plus, there is another feature of CDT breakpoints which allows them to
>    have target-specific attributes.  See bug 211533.  I don't know if you
>    will be able to use it directly for catchpoints, because they will require
>    entirely new breakpoint types, but it may give you ideas for design.  In
>    general, I think this is a very difficult problem (enabling breakpoint
>    creation actions based on context), because breakpoints can be created
>    before a debug session is active.  A rather simple solution may be to
>    create a new command set for these new breakpoint actions and have this
>    command set disabled by default.

Yes, this is hard.  GDB has the same problem: for instance, some kinds
of watchpoints and catchpoints can be created once the program is
running, but not before it runs.  Before we know what target we
will connect to, we don't know what breakpoint types will be
supported.

If you come up with a clever solution to this let me know and we can
smarten up GDB too :-)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery