Re: [cdt-dev] catchpoints

In the current CDT architecture there are four major places where the support for new type of breakpoints needs to be added:

1) The UI
2) CDT Model
3) CDI (or DSF) API
4) Debugger Engine Integration (which implements either CDI or DSF API).

IMO the most difficult part of this task is #1.  #2 follows mostly from the needs of #1, #3 from #2, etc.  So I am very interested in the discussion about adding new breakpoint types to CDT that could exercise the new capabilities of GDB.  I hope that there will be sufficient participation from other debugger vendors to make it a well rounded and complete feature.

BTW, once the UI and the CDT Model changes are complete, adding the support for these breakpoints in DSF-GDB is relatively straightforward.

Cheers,
Pawel

Elena Laskavaia wrote:
Currently I am talking about anything under org.eclipse.cdt.debug.
DSF is not there yet, and I don't know what is their plans about
catchpoints.

Phil Muldoon wrote:

Elena Laskavaia wrote:

So the questions are:
1 - do any other debuggers support similar functionality? do we want
public API and debugger independent ui for it?
2 - or do we want to implement it for gdb only, assuming they

eventually

would implement it?

Minor segue, but when you refer to implementing a public API,  do you
mean via Debugger Service Framework? (DSDP/DD)

http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD

As far as other debuggers, Frysk can do some if not at all of the above
(http://www. sourceware.org/frysk) , and is under very active
development at the moment (and has the bonus of being written in
Java/C++).

Regards

Phil