Re: [cdt-dev] CDT and RAP

Hi *,

well, I am not in the RAP team, but personally I wouldn't want to run JDT,
CDT, or similar complex IDEs as a RAP application.

At the moment. ;-)

But ten years ago I didn't think that I would ever run a complete IDE in a
JRE...

On the other hand there might be some interesting usecases for CDT and RAP in
the future, usecases that will be possible with such a solution. But
currently it is not possible to port such applications because of the missing
StyledText in RAP.

At EclipseCon there is a tutorial on single sourcing RCP and RAP:

  http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/index.php?page=sub/&id=233

Hope this helps...

Markus

On Friday 07 March 2008, Mike Wrighton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know much about the RAP (Rich Ajax Platform) and more
> specifically whether it would be at all feasible to port some or all of the
> CDT to use it, instead of RCP? From what I understand, it replaces some of
> the graphical parts of the Eclipse platform (SWT, JFace, the workbench)
> with cut-down implementations that generate Ajax code so that you can
> effectively run Eclipse inside a browser. I suspect this would be a huge
> project but I haven't found much documentation yet on porting existing
> plug-ins.
>
> Mike

Back to the top