Re: [cdt-dev] Can I get call graphs, fan in, fan out, etc. from Indexer?

Try the Call Hierarchy view.  It doesn't do everything you want, but it
will at least let you walk the chain of callers/callees.  Unfortunately for
you it only works on one function and doesn't do a graph for your entire
project.

A dead code finder would be a pretty useful feature... maybe you should
file an enhancement for that.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             "Moore, Chris
             (ESL Roseville)"
             <chris.moore@hp.c                                          To
             om>                       "cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx"
             Sent by:                  <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             cdt-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
             clipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [cdt-dev]       Can I get call
             01/25/2008 11:29          graphs, fan in, fan out, etc. from
             AM                        Indexer?

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

This isn't really a development question, but I didn't find a forum for
asking
questions about using CDT.  Hope this is the right forum.

I've used Eclipse for about a year for Java, but now have switched to doing
development.  At first I didn't even think of Eclipse, thinking is was just
a Java tool, but I've now got CDT installed and so far I'm really happy
with it.

In particular I like the static analysis that the Indexer does - I've
inherited
some poorly documented code and it's really nice to be able to display call
trees and references to functions.

What I'd really like now is to get a report - something that shows the
static
call graph of what functions call what other functions.  In particular I'm
interested in what functions are never called by anything.

I can go through the code one function at a time, click on every function
declaration, and ask for references - but it'd be nice to just be able to
get a report.  The Indexer obviously has that information, but I don't know
where or how to get it.

Is there a way to do that?  I've seen lots of Java plugins that do
analysis,
but nothing for C.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris Moore