From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brunauer, Walter
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:47 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] First gotcha with add/exclude children of FFS

Hi,

after reading this rather long thread, I'll decided to throw in my personal opinion.

I consider this approach to work against one of the most general Eclipse platform paradigms, where a project is defined to be a root directory and everything in it. IMO, the more workarounds are introduced against this paradigm, the more problems will be faced, and the more incompatibilities (or at least unawarenesses) created.

Isn't the whole problem you try to solve here rather about what files should go into the build (and probably into the indexer) than what files are part of a project? I understand that CDT has no separation of what a project and what the build input is (well, IIRC one can exclude specific files from the build, but in general, the project content defines the build input, right?).

In our commercial IDE, we separated this. This not only introduced much more powerful build setup capabilities in general, but especially enabled users to setup build artifacts with arbitrary contents (think of sources being compilable with different compiler flags for different build artifacts, build input exclusion patterns, build input from all over the workspace, multiple build artifacts within the same project, reusable build artifacts accross project boundaries, etc., etc., etc.). BTW, we call this build system flexible managed build - because that's what it is:-)

Of course, one can setup CDT projects as of today to exactly contain what is desired (with the help of linked resources). However, I find linked resources to be cumbersome and error prone, though many of our customers start out with them during evaluation as well, mostly because they are looking for a way to achieve what they did in the past with other non-Eclipse based IDEs, but sooner or later I know of lots of them realizing its much easier to use the features of our flexible build system instead, especially if projects need to be shared in a team. And now think of virtual file systems, the potential complexity of these, hidden assumptions, restrictions, etc. Sounds worse than linked resources to me.

I guess, the point I am trying to make is: whatever you decide to do, make it understandable and transparent (and of course as simple as possible to use) for the user.

As said, just my 2 cents,

Walter