RE: [cdt-dev] First gotcha with add/exclude children of FFS

Team Support - that's a good example and reminds me of a fundamental
architectural difference between Eclipse and Visual Studio.

The Eclipse platform believes that it is the keeper of the knowledge
regarding which files are part of the project.  This allows there to be
common implementations of functionality such a Team Support, a Project
Explorer, etc, and makes less work for each extension, but at the cost
of flexibility.

The Visual Studio "Shell" is not the keeper of the knowledge regarding
which files are part of the project.  Various extensions (e.g. Visual
C++, and all other language extensions) must provide their own "project
system" implementation.  Each has to support Source Code Control, and
handle it's own UI in the generic Visual Studio Solution Explorer.  This
is obviously more work, but does give the extension the ability to
control what files are considered part of the project, what the project
"hierarchy" looks like, where the physical files are located, etc.

In CDT, we want to be able to deal with:
1.  The files in the project (primarily the project but actually the
entire workspace).  This is easy since this is the primary Java
requirement and the platform supports it well.
2.  Files outside the project - whether on the same system or not
(linked resources, EFS?)
3.  Restricting which files inside the project directory hierarchy are
relevant to the project (is there a platform mechanism for this?)

Leo