[cdt-dev] Java 5 and StringBuilder

Now that we are on Java 5 there are new APIs in the Java library that are
available. One important one is the StringBuilder class, which is intended
as a drop-in replacement for StringBuffer. The difference is that
StringBuilder is not syncronized, which means it is faster because there is
no syncronization overhead. I suggest  that uses of StringBuffer should be
replaced with StringBuilder where appropriate for performance.

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
IBM CDT Team, Toronto
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx