Re: [cdt-dev] Common toolchain options

Hi,

djlynott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm trying to add support for a GCC based cross development toolchain with CDT 4.0. Many projects I work with are mixed language and have C and C++ sources. While the current GCC based toolchains support this, they force me to enter include paths and other settings separately for each tool.

When developing my plug-in I would like to have a number of options like include paths that are shared between tools. Is this possible from a UI and model perspective (the MBS extensibility document indicates an option can have only one tool).

If you would like to share exactly the same option values between two options from different tools in the same tool-chain you can use the IManagedOptionValueHandler interface and valueHandler attribute of the option element on the buildDefinitions extension-point. This way, when the value of one of the options change, you can programmatically sync the value of the other option.
Since many of the toolchains I want to support are cross development toolchains, I think the current "Manage configurations" dialog is a bit naive at present. It should select a toolchain and then offer existing and default configurations that match the toolchain vs. assume the existing toolchain that is selected for the project (or at least allow me to override it in that dialog). I know our configurations are quite complex and I think my users are going to want the ability to import configurations external to a given project as well.

I'd like to make minimal changes to support the above use-cases or at least know that CDT development will align with my needs before expending a bunch of work. Are these type of things planned? Are they there already and I just don't know how to take advantage of them? I could use some guidance.

Thanks,
-- Dave