RE: [cdt-dev] MBS Slash issues

I know we have considered the “slash” problem in the past, but I don’t remember all of the details.  There are probably one or more cdt-dev threads or bugzillas discussions.  One thing that comes to mind is that MBS allows the tool integrator to use any command line tool, and the custom build steps allow the user to use additional command line tools as well.  Therefore, I don’t think it is sufficient to check cl and link and then decide it is OK.  Maybe we need a toolchain or tool attribute that specifies the tool’s filename requirements – with the default being OS format.

Leo

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Doug Schaefer
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:21 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] MBS Slash issues

Hey gang,

I’ve recently run across a problem with gdb and dwarf in MinGW’s lastest compiler and debugger distribution. If we build using the toOSString to generate the file names, gdb gets confused by the ‘\’ file separator. If I use ‘/’ it’s fine.

Now this is obviously a bug with gdb dealing with Windows path names, but to make life easier for the gnu tools, we could change the separator to ‘/’ in the command generator for all platforms.

The question is, does anyone have a tool that needs Windows file separators for file names. I checked Microsoft’s cl and link and they seems fine with ‘/’. Obviously gcc, is fine with it.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems