[cdt-dev] Help understanding C/C++-search implementation ?

Title: Help understanding C/C++-search implementation ?

I'm trying to track down a C/C++ search problem we're seeing.  But beyond just fixing this one problem, the reason I'm writing to "cdt-dev" is because I'd like to instrument my company's code so that the C/C++ search mechanics are more transparent.  To be specific:

- Is there a place in the CDT code where I can add a logging statement, so that I know when indexing of source files actually occurs?  (Our plugin includes Log4j-based logging.)  In other words, I'm concerned that the source of the problem is simply that the symbol the user is searching for simply hasn't been indexed yet, so logging when indexing occurs would help determine whether that is or isn't the case.

- We've also added a kind of "developer's console" to the Console view which allows us to type in simple commands, e.g. to dump information to the console.  For instance, we've got a "views" command that prints out information about all of the active views (e.g. the views' ID strings).  I'm considering adding a command which would let us dump the current index information, i.e. the data that's used when C/C++ searches are requested.  Any hints on where to start looking for the data to dump?

(Of course, I could set breakpoints and look at things in the debugger, instead of relying on log statements and dumps, so suggestions on places to set breakpoints would be appreciated too!)

Thanks in advance!

-- Rich

Rich Wagner, Senior Software Development Engineer
Tilera Corporation
1900 West Park Drive, Suite 290
Westborough, MA 01581

Back to the top