RE: [cdt-dev] CDT4.0RC3 - why only available as update sitefrom download page?

Beth -- Thanks for responding. I missed the earlier posts to cdt-dev
when I looked in the archives, sorry.

Is summary this change in releasing builds was made to conserve
disk space and bandwidth at eclipse.org. (looking at Doug's post).

Unfortunately collapsing every component into an update site has
made my workflow harder. Is there a possibility to change
the release process? Or to get some help with my workflow?

I can see that an update site is useful, and that individual features
can be installed via the update manager. Having a local cache of the
update site is basically an optimization for using update manager.

In my case I need to download individual components of CDT (at least
the CDT Runtime and SDK features) in an automated way without any
human interaction or running a GUI such as update manager.

Unfortunately going from an update site to an eclipse hierarchy of
features/plugins is a bit tricky. For example a feature in an update
site is a jar file, while it must be a directory in an eclipse
hierarchy.
It's also inconvenient to parse the feature.xml to get the required
plugins for that feature from a script (shell, make, or ant).

My concern is that such a script would be brittle and complex.
It certainly was a pain to perform the extraction and conversion
manually.

My preference is to add back some of the individual components to the
build.
Perhaps not every variant as before, at least more than all in one.
For example three components; Runtime, SDK and Extras might be okay.
Collapsing all platform architectures would be acceptable, if necessary.

Thanks for reading this far and for any help.

Robert.