RE: [cdt-dev] CDT 4.0 Release Review

Not to get too deep into the discussion here and now, but IBM's modeling
tools heavily rely upon the Full Indexer, so we would not want to see it
deprecated either.  The cached headers optimization of the Fast Indexer
breaks down for a lot of user scenarios, and when you're transforming the
user's code, you need it to be correct.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/06/2007 02:51          RE: [cdt-dev] CDT 4.0 Release
             PM                        Review

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Thanks, Rob. Here are a couple of replies:

Slide 6/13 ? Great news. I?ll update. And thanks for this!

Slide 7 ? I?d love to but we do not have a plan on the books to improve the
API docs, at least one that has any sense of commitment. We keep saying
we?re going to do it, and it?s time to stop promising it until we actually
have such a plan.

Slide 10 ? I think we need more community feedback before doing that. I
have a request on the table not to deprecate it. But, as we get more
feedback on the quality of the Fast indexer in CDT 4, I think we?ll get
more confidence in deprecating it.

For the API docs and Full Indexer, these will be great topics for the CDT
Fall Summit ;).

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems