RE: [cdt-dev] Bug 63927- doubt

Given that this is how the CDT has always worked, and that few people have complained about it, I’ll dispute the statement that “behavior like the one above will actually make most people believe that CDT is broken”.

Thanks for the feedback, though, and please make sure you capture it in a bugzilla entry for future reference.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erik Nilsson
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:19 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Bug 63927- doubt

First impression: Oh!

I think I understand why this has to be this way from a technical point of view. But from a users perspective it makes no sense. Maybe if you at least changed the wording of the C/C++ search dialog box so it makes clear that it only searches for public variables it would seem a bit better. But not entirely, because chances are that you don't actually want that behaviour.

Maybe you could add a check box to automatically do a text search of C and C++ source files after the initial index search is done. But that makes the meaning of the C/C++-search function even cloudier. Perhaps if you called it "C/C++-index search" people would at least have chance to figure out what that dialog actually does.

Actually, perhaps the Index just isn't the best tool for doing a good C/C++ search function. I would naivley think the procedure would be something like: 1) Text search all interesting files (.c .cpp whatnot) for word occurence 2) parse the files matching to figure out what that word actually is in terms of C/C++ 3) filter accoring to user preferences, variables, methods etc 4) ... 5) profit

I think the most important thing is that you must be able to depend on the search function, behaviour like the one above will actually make most people (everyone not very accustomed with the inner workings of CDT) believe that CDT is broken.

Regards,
Erik Nilsson