RE: [cdt-dev] Eclipsecon 2007 - SAFARI

Part of the question seems to ask if a non-Java based parser will work with
eclipse. Maybe someone else can answer that question definitively, but I
would guess that that's not really feasible.

One thing you should consider is whether the syntax of Oz lends itself well
to bottom up parsing. I've had a lot of success with LPG so far, but I am
having problems with ambiguities in the C99 grammar. This is why Doug is
leaning towards using ANTLR for his C# parser.

Also, I got the impression from the eclipsecon presentation file that when
SAFARI is released it will include a new version of LPG with better error
recovery.

I plan on writing some documentation on CDT multi-language support after I
get a bit further with the C99 parser. Doug, is the CDT wiki considered the
best place for this kind of documentation?

Mike Kucera
IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto Lab
905-413-3657
mkucera@xxxxxxxxxx

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/18/2007 11:50          RE: [cdt-dev] Eclipsecon 2007 -
             PM                        SAFARI

             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Great question. Talking to Robert from SAFARI at EclipseCon, he mentioned
that they would like to support other parsers and have built their
framework to do that. There will probably be a fair amount of development
effort to make it happen, and they will need some help from the community,
but it should be possible. We?ll know more though when they get their open
source project set up so that we can start working with them.

>From the CDT perspective, I think we need to support multiple parsing
technologies as well. Chris and his team are working on an LPG based C
parser and my plan is to use ANTLR for C# if I can. Of course if you
already have access to a parser front end for your language and can
integrate it into Eclipse, you?re a mile ahead as well. But we really need
to write some documentation on how to extend the CDT for a new language.
And this should feed into the SAFARI project so that they can generate the
necessary classes so that you don?t need to hand code them all. But that
will probably have to wait until we get CDT 4.0 out the door.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems