From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Cecco
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 11:51 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Indexer conf call?

Normally I let Chris Recoskie speak for IBM as he is in charge of our technical contributions to CDT.  Unfortunately the tone of the discussion thread has changed.  As for the comments related to IBM tearing apart  CDT, nothing could be further from the truth.  We have committed 5 resources long term to ensure that CDT progresses to the heights that it is capable of reaching.  A lot of hard work by the whole community has gone into CDT over the years to provide the rich set of features we have today.  That said, CDT does not address an important C/C++ development community well enough, namely the high performance computing community.  Running CDT locally on the type of hardware this community targets is not feasible due to the high cost of the MIPS.  Running CDT on a local workstation via a remote share (as you propose) does not scale cross country or overseas when the project and include paths span thousands of files.  We have tried this approach on various products and the bottleneck has always shown to be network latency.  We are in the process of generating the performance numbers supporting our assertion.  Remote indexing is a goal for a number of IBM products but it is also a goal for the Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform project that is built on CDT.  We are committed to working with the community to enhance CDT to the benefit of all companies who ship products based on CDT and to do so under the community processes that are in place.

Robert Cecco
Development Manager, CDT
IBM Toronto Lab

Doug Schaefer <DSchaefer@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/15/2007 04:44 PM

Please respond to

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Indexer conf call?

I'm not totally sure what you guys are talking about. If you are talking
about the DAO thing, I don't consider that an API of the CDT. In fact I'd
rather people not know about it. It is a hack to allow the IBM to tear apart
the CDT at their whim while adding complexity to an already too complex
architecture. No one else will benefit from it. Did I mention I really don't
like this thing? ;) Until someone shows me the real costs, I will continue
to believe that indexing locally and accessing the files over the wire is
the correct architecture, especially now that the CDT never parses an
unchanged file more than once.

So as such, the DAO interface can be changed whenever.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems