Re: [cdt-dev] Indexer conf call?

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure if you mean whether we (IBM) have slack in terms of our
schedule for getting the items in before the freeze, or if you mean whether
we have slack as to what release of CDT they would go in.

I'll try to answer both questions.

If (big if...) we were going to move all the clients to the DAO model (call
hierarchy, type hierarchy, search, etc.), our internal schedule says we
would be done this in early to mid April (I can break this down in detail
if anyone is interested).  If the work only has to make the feature freeze
then there is a couple of weeks of slack.  We didn't get consensus yet that
everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling about migrating all the clients though.
For those clients that have already a good separation of UI and back end
such as the call hierarchy and type hierarchy this would be a relatively
simple process, but for other clients it might or might not take more work
to factor out the back end.  For our part we are very concerned with making
sure that quality is maintained and we've been rigorously running the UI
tests to make sure we haven't been breaking anything.

In terms of CDT releases, that probably bears some discussion and
clarification...

Markus was concerned about making it for API freeze... I guess the
questions we need to answer are what are our (as in CDT's) APIs going to be
and are we actually prepared to freeze them in two weeks given that feature
work is ongoing up until April 30th.  Some things are obviously going to be
API (IIndex and the like, new project model stuff, etc.) but in terms of
the back end to the views and other index based services it's not very
clear to me what is going to be API and what isn't.

What is API and what is not has a lot of ramifications...

- What are we freezing for API freeze?  Are we in fact freezing at M6?
Personally I'm not sure it's practical to freeze API prior to feature work
being done unless the system is very mature (i.e., if you are the Eclipse
Platform and are not implementing  a huge amount of features in this
release you have a much easier time of freezing API ahead of your feature
delivery than we do).  That's just my $0.02 CDN though...

- What can and cannot be put in between M6 and the feature freeze?

- What can and cannot be done in CDT 4.1 that doesn't make it into CDT 4.0?
In a 4.1 we can add new API but can't break existing API.  To break
existing API we'd need a CDT 5.0, which would be a year from now.

In terms of our own desires at IBM, a year is a long time to wait because
it doesn't line up well with our product release cycle (it already takes
almost a year for us to deploy products based on CDT, so it would be
basically two years before anything consuming our proposed functionality
would see the light of day if we had to wait until CDT 5.0 to get the
changes in).  It likely suits our purposes well enough if we can get
something done this year, and we are not entirely picky about which release
that would be so long as the changes happen and we are not restricted by
the versioning rules.

What are people's thoughts on the API issues?

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt