[cdt-dev] discouraged access in CDT-plugins

Hi,
In CDT 4.0M5 the plugins 'org.elipse.cdt.core' and 'org.eclipse.cdt.ui'
did not use any non-API from the platform. I still don't accept that we
introduce such non-API usage with M6.
I'd like to understand the CDT-committers opinion on it.

My thinking is that using non-API is bad because:
* we loose control about whether CDT 4.0 is compatible with a future
  minor or even maintainance platform release.
* if we just add enough of such non-API calls CDT it will become a
  nightmare to maintain CDT, so if this is really necessary, we
  should have very good reasons.

There are actually some rules on using non-API, that were created
by the Planning Council, I think we should follow them.
http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/20070123PCMinutes.php

Markus.

Back to the top