From: Jon [mailto:noreply-comment@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:24 AM
To: dschaefer@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Doug on the Eclipse CDT] New comment on Windows Vista versus OpenGL.

Jon has left a new comment on your post "Windows Vista versus OpenGL":

Hi Doug, I'm a games developer who uses Direct X on a daily basis. In some way we're non too bothered about being able to run Direct X inside SWT as we build all our tools in C/C++ (although we are thinking about using C# in the future). I'm also somewhat a fan of OpenGL and my understanding is that there is nothing stopping the hardware vendors shipping fast GL rendering in Vista, however they're tied up with the new driver model for DX10 at the moment :-D What I am really keenly following is moving to using eclipse as a development IDE at work. I use eclipse at home for my tinkering projects and really enjoy using it - I find it a better IDE than Visual Studio but at work we're tied to .Net IDE as we use the MS toolchain. Sometimes we use the Intel compiler - will your work with the MS Platform SDK allow us to choose to use that on Windows too - IIRC it's command line compatible with MS's compiler? It wouldn't be too much work to get the windows platform building for GCC either, as the PS2 and 3 ports both do. I'd love to be able to use eclipse and select between an MS, gcc or Intel compiler for the PC build, then go for a PS3 build all from the same workspace. Then I'd just have to integrate the XBox360 tool chain and I'd be ecstatic. If this were possible it would be a pretty good argument for us to look at eclipse studio wide.

Posted by Jon to Doug on the Eclipse CDT at 10:24 AM

Back to the top