Re: AW: Newest CygWin make (was Re: [cdt-dev] Managed build on Windows failswith linked folders)

On 23/1/07 16:08, "Chris Recoskie" <recoskie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure how MinGW behaves as I haven't used it at all.

It's a bit more Windows-like, though it's also pretty random whether a
developer has a shell installed as well as the MinGW downloads include make
only (perversely not called make.exe).

One of the most insidious things that GNU make does on Windows is creating a
temporary batch file if there's no sh-like shell on PATH. So you need to
consider cmd.exe quoting rules, make quoting rules and the quoting rules of
the tool you're invoking.

We're currently building GNU make for Windows, quoting spaces with
backslashes in dependency files, quoting all path arguments (-I, etc.) on
the command-line with spaces and removing the backslash from drive arguments
(so that we get "-IH:" rather than "-IH:\"). Unsurprisingly, we want to take
make outside and shoot it for our next major release.

Jon

--
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

Back to the top