Re: [cdt-dev] Friendlier remote debugging?

Hi Alexiev,

First I'm interesting in your solution.

Why ?
-----
We already faced this problems a few months ago, we have a very long delay between each execution step for some programs that are running on a board were a lot of threads are actives. I started a discussion with cdt-debug-dev and gdb mailing lists, we also had
Below are some thread pointers
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-debug-dev/msg01515.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2006-09/msg00178.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2006-09/msg00096.html

Problem:
-------
The main problem is that Eclipse is using the CLI command "info threads" which returns a lot of stuffs for all threads (extra information, call stack ...) that Eclipse do not need. Eclipse is using that because some MI commands are (were) missing for getting only what he needs.

Workaround
----------
In the first time, to workaround this problem, I've hacked our gdb, adding a parameter to the "info thread" commands so that it does not return stack frame information for all threads (getting stack frames for all threads is the action that take the most time), but it's not the right thing to do since it could never been contributed. Eclipse should only use MI commands...

Long term fix
-------------
I adopt the following policy for fixing these problems:
- Develop in GDB the missing MI commands and enhance the one that can be enhanced: this aims at beeing contributed to the GNU GDB - Modify Eclipse si that he uses these commands: I'll try this also to be accepted by the Eclipse community.

In details, Eclipse will use MI command
-thread-list-ids: this command used to return only the thread id list, its very fast, I've added to this command the current thread ID, it is not time consuming. -thread-info for each thread he need to get information: this one will return the extra information plus the stack frame of the required thread.

I am also implementing the MI command -thread-list-all-threads that will return the list of thread ids plus their "extra information". I will re-discuss that with GDB (and CDT) maintainers soon since I have finished the first implementation of GDB commands here.

Denis PILAT/STMicroelectronics

Alexiev, Dobrin wrote:

Hi Stuart,

I am currently implementing a solution that you may be interested in.

The problem we are facing is when we have 100s threads in our back end debugger, Eclipse connects to all of them, there is a lot of traffic and most of it is not connected to UI updates.

We decided to delay connecting to the back end thread objects until the user expands the thread in the Debug View.

This way Eclipse is talking to handful of threads at any given time. When the number of connected threads reaches a given number let’s say 10 - we dispose the least recently used connections when the target is run.

Keep in mind that we make many assumptions and that we had to modify some code in the platform debug and CDT.

Here are some of the assumptions:

- when the CPU is halted all threads are halted - it’s a stop mode debugger.

- at any given time the user is interested in only few threads.

- all other debug views show information for the current debug context - the selection in the debug view.

We haven’t completed the solution yet, but if you (or others) are interested I can submit what we’ve done so far in a separate patch. Right now I think it is specific to our case but if it helps others I can post it.

After the current release we’d like to move to DSF. I haven’t played with it yet but from the white papers looks like it can address some of these issues.

Regards

Dobrin