RE: [cdt-dev] New project model

Hi Dave,

There are two aspects of migration/backward compatibility support we are
considering.

1. Existing projects support
2. Existing integration support.

1. Existing project support: the existing projects must be supported.
When the project is loaded the user is asked whether the project should
be converted. If the answer is yes, the project is converted and stored
in the new format, otherwise the project information is converted, but
not stored and will be available in the read-only mode.
We have introduced a new extension that is intended to perform a
conversion.
We already have the old Managed make projects successfully converted to
the new format and are planning to implement the converter for the
standard make projects soon as well.
2. Existing integration support. It is planned to support existing
integration as much as possible, although there might be some problems
with providing the 100% backward compatibility. I was mentioning those
problems in the New Project Model Core design (see the "Backward
Compatibility" section at the end of the document), but unfortunately
received no feedback on that.

>From the Path Entries point of view the question is does anyone needs
this functionality to be remained in the CDT. If so it can be supported
as a wrapper around the new functionality. Note that the path entries
API will work only for one configuration (used by the CModel and
indexer) and will not provide the per-language settings granularity i.e.
will collect/store the settings from/to all language settings defined
for the configuration.

>From the Std Make Scanner discovery profile mechanism, it will remain
unchanged and will be utilized by the CDT Build System for discovering
includes/symbols settings as it is done now.

Mikhail