From: Vladimir Prus [mailto:vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 9:10 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Sennikovsky, Mikhail; wieant@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Rebuilding managed build project on properties
change

On Monday 02 October 2006 20:52, Sennikovsky, Mikhail wrote:

Hi Mikhail,

> You are right, the tool-chain options changes themselves do not result
> in a full rebuild. This was done intentionally. My assumption was that
> the tool-chain options are not the build options themselves, i.e. not
> used by makefile generation, etc. Instead they are used to
> initiate/perform a [simultaneous] change of some build options (e.g.
> tool option values, build environment, build macros, etc.).
> That is why no full rebuild is initiated by the tool-chain option
> change. Instead it is expected that the proper rebuild state will be
set
> by the build settings change initiated by the tool-chain option
> modification (e.g. via a tool-chain option value handler).

I'm not quite sure how this is going to work. Say I have a global option
"CPU
type" -- that affects compiler, assember and linker. When this option
changes, I can't just modify options for those compilers -- since after
restart I won't be able to tell if a given compiler option was
explicitly set
by the user, or automatically changed by this global option.

So, the other alternative is to from GnuMakefileGenerator and modify it
so
that it adds extra    command line options to tools, depending on the
values
of the global options. Or I can specify commandLineGenerator for my
tool.
But in both cases, I don't see how change of global option will cause a
rebuild.

Or probably, in ValueHandled for the global option I should call
setRebuildState for all affected tools?

- Volodya

Back to the top