RE: [cdt-dev] character encoding problems

Yes, as Andrew indicates there are problems with using the prefs to fix
this.

I think the easiest way of fixing things is just not to use any offending
characters.  That's currently how I'm solving things.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

             Andrew
             Niefer/Ottawa/IBM
             @IBMCA                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "CDT General developers list."
             cdt-dev-bounces@e         <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc
                                       "CDT General developers list."
                                       <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
             13/09/2006 11:36          cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                       RE: [cdt-dev] character encoding
                                       problems
             Please respond to
               "CDT General
             developers list."
             <cdt-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Note that the headless build of CDT won't know about any encoding
preferences from the workspace or project preferences.  For headless build
purposes, you can set the default encoding to use for a project, or set
custom encodings per file or folder in the project's build.properties file.
See the javacDefaultEncoding and javacCustomEncodings properties here:
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/reference/pde_feature_generating_build.htm

-Andrew

 "Leherbauer, Anton"
 <Anton.Leherbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:                                   <wieant@xxxxxxxxx>, "CDT
 cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                General developers list."
                                            <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
 09/13/2006 10:51 AM
                                                                   Subject
                                            RE: [cdt-dev] character
         Please respond to                  encoding problems
  "CDT General developers list."
       <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Changing the encoding of a CVS repository location
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc
.user/tasks/tasks-95a.htm

"The encoding does not affect the contents of file."

I don't think that the encoding problems were caused by CVS
checkin/-out.
I suppose, CVS handles all text files transparently as byte stream
without
the need to encode/decode.

Toni