From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Leherbauer, Anton
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:15 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] character encoding problems

There are two solutions:

1. convert the files to valid UTF-8 and also mark
   them as UTF-8 in the project preferences

2. replace the offending characters with plain ASCII.

I'd prefer option 1 and I could also do the conversion
if nobody objects.

BTW, it is probably a JVM-dependent issue how
the builtin decoding methods handle encoding problems.
The Sun JVM on Windows replaces malformed input bytes
and unmappable characters by default (as e.g. in Charset#decode()),
instead of reporting errors.

Toni